- An annual physical is a yearly doctor’s appointment, where your overall health and wellness are assessed. Regardless of your age and health status, annual physicals are essential to preventing disease, maintaining wellness, and staying up to date on your immunizations.
- Ideally, a primary care provider (PCP) who is informed of your medical history should conduct an annual physical on you. However, in some circumstances, this may not be possible. While urgent care clinics are meant to be for responsive medicine, many offer preventative care visits such as annual physicals.
- Mira’s research indicates that the average cost at urgent care clinics can cost between $100 to $200.
What can I expect at an annual physical?
Physicals are a great way to have a conversation about your health with your healthcare provider. There are many types of physicals (e.g. school physicals, camp physicals, sports physicals, etc.).
However, all types of physicals are meant to assess your overall state of health, prevent future illness, and address any concerns that you might have. An annual physical exam may include any of the following:
- Vital sign checks
- Visual examination of body (head, eyes, chest, abdomen, musculoskeletal system, nervous system)
- Physical examination (palpation to feel for abnormalities, genitalia/rectum examination, listening to heart/lungs, motor function tests)
- Laboratory tests
Additionally, screening tests may be performed depending on your biological sex, your age, and any risk factors you may have. These screening test may include:
- Pap Smears
- Breast Exams
- Pelvic Exams
- Testicular Exams
- Prostate Cancer Screening
How much does an annual physical cost at urgent care?
When seeking treatment for an annual physical, your total out-of-pocket cost will depend on several factors listed below.
- Insurance Status
- Type of Insurance
- Type of Immunizations
- Additional Tests and Lab Work
- Prescription Medication / Drugs
- Office Visit + Administrative Fees
While concrete prices vary by urgent care clinics, Mira’s research indicates that the price of an urgent care visit can range from $100 to $200 if you do not have insurance.
Coupled with administrative fees as well as medical fees in addition to the physical itself, an annual physical at an urgent care clinic may cost you hundreds of dollars.
Urgent care price breakdown for an annual physical
Below is a chart with the price of an annual physical at major urgent care chains:
Knowledge is power, share this article
|Urgent Care Center||Price For Annual Physical|
|ProHEALTH Urgent Care||$115|
|American Family Care||$125|
|MedExpress||$30 + additional office fees|
|GoHealth Urgent Care||$120|
** These are the prices for an office visit, some urgent care clinics include the annual physical cost with the office visit cost.
Who should get an annual physical?
Note, if you are experiencing a medical emergency, you should immediately seek treatment from an emergency room or another medical professional.
If possible, everybody should get an annual physical.
As they are largely focused on prevention and maintaining health, you can expect to be engaged in an active conversation with your provider about your lifestyle habits, dietary habits, and family history of disease among other factors.
Many times, a physical exam is part of a company’s employment screening process. The reasoning for this is to ensure the applicant is physically fit for the duties the job entails.
Which urgent care clinics offer annual physicals?
CityMD, ProHEALTH, NextCare, and other urgent care clinics offer annual physicals.
Outlined below are several urgent care clinics that do and do not offer annual physicals:
|Urgent Care Center||Offers Physical||Appointment Type|
|CityMD||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|ProHEALTH Urgent Care||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|NextCare||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|FastMed||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|Patient First||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|CareNow||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|GoHealth||Need to go to primary care location in GoHealth System||N/A|
|MedExpress||Yes ($30)||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
|American Family Care||Yes||Walk-Ins / Reservations|
What can I do to avoid high costs when seeking an annual physical at urgent care?
Seeking help from urgent care can be expensive and non-transparent. There are several options that can help you reduce your out-of-pocket cost — especially if you do not have insurance or your insurance has high deductibles.
With Mira, your $99 co-pay will cover your entire urgent care visit.
Understanding what might appear on your bill and advocating for yourself during the billing process is essential to saving money. Outlined below are several questions you can ask the team at the urgent care clinic that might help you save money.
- How much is the total out-of-pocket cost?
- Will I be undergoing any testing today?
- How much will these tests cost?
- Are there administrative fees or fees for seeing a provider?
- Is one type of medicine cheaper than another?
- Is one type of test cheaper than another?
- What are my alternatives to this course of treatment?
Please note that the information in this article is meant to equip you with the information to decide for yourself whether or not to seek medical treatment.
Mira’s Research Team does not consist of medical professionals, and we merely wish to highlight your options when navigating the American healthcare system. If you have specific questions regarding your medical situation, you should contact a healthcare provider.