Depending on the route through which the testosterone is administered, testosterone boosts can cost anywhere from as low as $40 to as high as $500. These prices may or may not include the necessary care and monitoring that is often associated with testosterone boosters. While these prices may be high, there are often ways in which these boosters can become more affordable.
If testosterone boosters are offered at an urgent care near you or available via prescription, Mira may be an option to lower the cost. Care memberships are available for $45 per month and give you access to $99 urgent care visits, as well as up to 80% off prescriptions and same-day lab tests. Sign up and receive your testosterone boosters today.
What Testosterone Boosters Are
Testosterone boosters are administered to individuals who have declining or low levels of testosterone, also known as hypogonadism. Hypogonadism is multi-faceted and can include sexual, physical, and emotional changes. When an individual’s body does not produce the desired amount of testosterone, testosterone therapy can be administered.
Hypogonadism can be determined by a subnormal level of serum testosterone or androgen deficiency. Note that if an individual’s testosterone levels are already normal, testosterone therapy will not improve any symptoms or conditions.
Symptoms of hypogonadism may include:
- Small testes
- Enlarges breasts (gynecomastia)
- Abnormally low libido (sex drive)
- Decreased erections - amount or intensity
- Loss of body hair
- Low bone mineral density
Testosterone boosters may improve or correct any of the above symptoms of hypogonadism, but you should consult your primary care physician as other conditions may actually be at fault.
For instance, some other causes of having a low libido may include anxiety, depression, chronic stress, or being overweight. You may also experience a low libido if you are taking certain antidepressants, beta-blockers, or opiates.
Other reasons an individual may seek testosterone therapy may include erectile dysfunction or gender transition.
Some testosterone boosters may be available at urgent cares or clinics, but the selection is likely limited. Specialists and testosterone therapists are more likely to be able to provide a full panel of services and experienced treatment.
Types of Testosterone Boosters
When seeking testosterone boosters, it is important to be educated on the types that your provider may offer you.
Get healthcare for 80% less.
Mira helps you get healthcare services for up to 80% less than paying out of pocket or going through insurance. As seen on Forbes, Axios, and CNBC.
- Injections: Testosterone injections are one of the most common types of testosterone boosters and are the cheapest option. Injections are often variable doses and are given more frequently. The injection is usually directed into a major muscle group.
- Oral Tablets: Testosterone taken through a tablet is administered orally and is another of the more common options. Some medical professionals believe that this method of administration may cause harm to the individual’s liver. These tablets are prescribed and not the testosterone supplements available over the counter.
- Dermal Patches: Testosterone patches administer the testosterone into the bloodstream through the skin.
- Pellets: Testosterone pellets are applied subcutaneously (under the skin) and are filled with crystalline testosterone, one of the most long-lasting testosterone boosters. These crystals dissolve and slowly release over three to six months.
- Gels/Creams: These dermal gels and creams are an alternative method to administer testosterone boosters and are applied topically.
- Buccal Systems: Buccal systems to administer testosterone are patches usually applied to the upper gum line or on the inner cheek. These are most commonly used twice a day with patches being changed morning and night.
Each of these applications may be only offered to certain patients. Additionally, all testosterone booster methods may only be offered by select providers. If your provider does not restrict the application of testosterone for medical purposes, they may be able to refer you to a testosterone therapist who can administer the booster using your preferred treatment method.
Cost of Testosterone Boosters Without Insurance
When consulting price tables for testosterone boosters, remember that the price can vary based on region, the method in which the testosterone is administered, dosage, and the frequency each booster is administered.
But being educated on the average prices and methods available may be able to save you money if your doctor tries to unnecessarily prescribe a more expensive treatment method.
Average Out-Of-Pocket Cost of Testosterone Boosters in North America
Method of Administration
Average Price Without Insurance
Effects of Testosterone Boosters
Testosterone boosters can have various effects. Understanding the expected effects of undergoing testosterone therapy is important to be aware of possible side effects an individual may experience. Some of the expected results or benefits may include but are not limited to:
- Increased muscle mass
- Increased libido
- Enlarged male genitals
- Increased sperm production
- Increased body hair growth
- Darker body hair
- High bone density
- High red blood cell production
- Broader shoulders
- Deeper voice
- Angulation of eyes and face
Risks of Using Testosterone Boosters
As with most medical treatments, using testosterone boosters may come with certain risks which include but are not limited to:
- Epidermal reactions such as acne or rashes
- Benign prostate hyperplasia (prostate growths)
- Worsening or newly present sleep apnea
- Too high of red blood cell production
- Limited sperm production
- Testicular shrinkage
- Breast enlargements
If your provider sees any of the above symptoms develop, they may require you to alter or discontinue treatments. Some methods of testosterone booster administration may also be changed to avoid certain risks.
As testosterone boosters can range from $40 to $500+, you may not be able to afford the out-of-pocket costs associated with the boosters or necessary care. Since testosterone boosters are sometimes administered at home, one possibility to receive affordable prices on testosterone boosters is through a prescription discount.
Prescription discount cards can be used separately, but through a care membership with Mira, receiving 80% prescriptions is only one benefit you will receive. If you are seeking care for the boosters through a local urgent care facility, Mira’s care membership also provides discounts to where a visit is no more than $99.
Testosterone Booster Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you are considering asking your provider for testosterone boosters it is important to understand common misconceptions and caveats. Here we outline some questions that you may have about testosterone boosters.
Are there any medical conditions that may prevent a person from being able to receive testosterone boosters?
People with the following conditions should be careful with or altogether not seek testosterone boosters depending on the condition. Your provider can better guide you if you have any concerns or questions.
- Sleep apnea
- Currently experiencing or having a history of prostate cancer
- Currently experiencing or having a history of breast cancer
- Heart failure
- Erythrocytosis - abnormally high levels of red blood cells
- High risk of pulmonary embolism
- High risk of myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- High risk of stroke
What are natural ways to increase your testosterone levels?
Understandably, some individuals may want to avoid the price attached to testosterone boosters or the use of a chemical booster altogether. Some natural ways to increase your testosterone levels may include:
- Reducing stress
- More sleep
- Reducing sugar intake
- Increased exercise
- Potassium and zinc-rich diets
- Increased vitamin D
Will over-the-counter testosterone supplements provide the same benefits as expensive boosters?
Results on whether or not over-the-counter (OTC) testosterone supplements work are mixed. Likely, if there is any boosted testosterone from OTC products, it is because of the secondary processes that occur because of the ingredients in the supplements.
Most experts recommend that you ask your primary care physician what the right step is for you. Testosterone boosters administered by hormone therapists are a more scientifically proven way to directly increase endogenous testosterone levels.
Affording testosterone boosters can be difficult without insurance. By understanding the basic types and treatment processes of testosterone therapy, you are more likely to find quality and affordable care.
Using a care membership with Mira, you can get up to 80% off of testosterone boosters and other prescription treatments for only $45 per month. Benefits can be used immediately after you sign up with Mira. Get a membership today and purchase testosterone boosters at an affordable price.