Healthcare Cost

Bloodwork Cost With and Without Insurance in 2024

Jacqueline Slobin
Jacqueline Slobin1 Jan 2024
Reviewed and Fact Checked ✔️

The average cost of bloodwork without insurance is $432, but the price can range from $50 to upwards of $1,000 depending on what tests are performed. There are several ways to lower the cost of bloodwork, such as going to community health clinics or ordering at-home lab tests. 

Most high-deductible health plans only cover the annual bloodwork if it is ordered by an in-network primary care physician. If the bloodwork is subject to a deductible, you might have to pay out of pocket.

Cost of Bloodwork Without Insurance 

The cost of blood tests without insurance can vary greatly. Some of the factors that determine how much you will need to pay for blood work include your insurance status, how many tests you get, and where you get tested. Below we outline the range of how much you can expect to pay for some common blood tests without insurance. 

Blood TestCost Estimate Without InsuranceCost with Mira
Complete Blood Count (CBC)$140 - $622$1 Full Health Panel
Lipid Panel$303 - $843$25
Basic or Comprehensive Metabolic Panel$330 - $1,309$1 Full Health Panel
A1c$129 - $643$19
Vitamin D$108 - $350$35
STD Test$108 - $350$99
COVID-19 Antibody Test$50-$100 
Thyroid-stimulating hormone$35 - $500$1 Full Health Panel

If you don't have health insurance or have a high deductible health plan, Mira makes a great option for you to get affordable same-day lab tests without getting a doctor's visit. Learn more about Mira now.  

Cost of Bloodwork with Insurance

You typically get one routine bloodwork with an annual check-up at no cost with most major medical plans. Routine bloodwork is often considered a preventive service under many private health insurance plans. Preventive services are typically covered without any cost-sharing, meaning no copayments, coinsurance, or deductibles apply. This generally includes common tests like cholesterol screening, diabetes screening, and complete blood counts.

If the bloodwork is not preventive but diagnostic, the coverage may vary. Diagnostic tests are usually subject to copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles. Deductibles can range widely, from a few hundred to several thousand dollars, meaning you will be paying full cost until your deductible is met. 

Cost of Bloodwork with Medicare

Under Medicare, routine bloodwork is typically covered when deemed medically necessary by a healthcare provider. Coverage is provided under Medicare Part B, which covers outpatient medical services.

Medicare generally covers 100% of the cost for preventive bloodwork, which includes tests like cholesterol screening and diabetes screening. There's no copayment or deductible for these tests if you use a provider who accepts Medicare.

For diagnostic bloodwork, Medicare covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount after you meet the Part B deductible, which is $226 in 2023. You are responsible for the remaining 20%, known as coinsurance. If the provider charges more than the Medicare-approved amount, you may have to pay the excess charges.

Health Image

Get affordable doctor copay without paying insurance premiums

Join 39,000 people and get Mira, the best alternative to traditional insurance. Enroll and use immediately. Plans start at only $45/mo.

Jacqueline Slobin

Jacqueline graduated from the University of Virginia in 2021 with a B.A. in Global Public Health and is a current M.D. candidate at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Jacqueline has been working for Mira since April 2020 and is passionate about the intersection of public health and medical care.

Get Health BenefitsGet Lab TestsTalk Therapy
Get ObamaCare
> See Plans