Quick Digest: How much does high cholesterol medication cost without insurance?
- Statins are a type of medication prescribed to treat high cholesterol by lowering cholesterol production in the liver.
- According to our research, the average retail cost of statins used to treat moderate cases of high cholesterol is $139.29 for generic medications and $360.43 for brand name statins.
- MiraRx can help you access various statins at discounted prices and compare prices at different pharmacies.
Note: This article is meant for informational purposes only. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. If you have questions about high cholesterol and treatment options, you should talk to your doctor.
What is high cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the blood that helps the body make certain vitamins and hormones. There are generally two types of cholesterol: LDL and HDL cholesterol. Generally, LDL is considered “bad” cholesterol while HDL is considered “good” cholesterol.
Certain genetic factors and lifestyle choices can lead to high levels of LDL cholesterol. Extremely high levels of LDL cholesterol can lead to obstruction in blood flow, potential blood clots, and potentially heart attack or stroke.
High cholesterol is a leading risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
In general, high cholesterol does not cause any noticeable symptoms and can be detected through a lipid panel blood test.
What medications are used to treat high cholesterol?
There are many different types of medications used to treat high cholesterol. It is important to speak with your doctor and find out which type of medication is best given your medical situation and other health conditions.
The main classes of prescriptions used to treat high cholesterol include medications called statins, PCSK9 inhibitors, fibrates, bile acid resins, niacin, omega 3 fatty acids.
This article will focus on the price of statins, which are prescription drugs that work in your liver and prevent the formation of cholesterol.
How much do statins cost without insurance?
Without insurance or discount codes, statins can vary in price from about $33/month to $600/month. Below we outline the average retail price of statins in the U.S.
Our table uses dosages and monthly quantities that are typically prescribed for those who require moderate-intensity dosing and need an LDL reduction of about 30-50%. Note that the price of these medications will likely be higher if you require a higher dosage.
|Medication name||Generic or Brand||Dosage||Quantity||Average Retail Price|
|Atorvastatin||Generic||20 mg||30 tablets||$77.44|
|Lipitor||Brand||20 mg||30 tablets||$602.33|
|Fluvastatin||Generic||40 mg||60 tablets||$269.91|
|Lovastatin||Generic||40 mg||30 tablets||$33.17|
|Pitavastatin||Generic||2 mg||30 tablets||$398.39|
|Pravastatin||Generic||40 mg||30 tablets||$35.92|
|Pravachol||Brand||40 mg||30 tablets||$225.47|
|Rosuvastatin||Generic||10 mg||30 tablets||$133.35|
|Crestor||Brand||10 mg||30 tablets||$309.49|
|Simvastatin||Generic||40 mg||30 tablets||$26.87|
|Zocor||Brand||40 mg||30 tablets||$304.44|
Knowledge is power, share this article
In addition to cost, it is important to discuss your lifestyle choices and other medications with your doctor. Some statins result in drug interactions with other medications and side effects. In addition, some statins are also affected by certain foods, such as grapefruit juice.
How to get statins at a lower cost?
It is clear that medications to treat high cholesterol can be very expensive. Here are some ways that you can get these medications at the lowest cost:
1) MiraRx: through Mira’s Prescription Portal you search the name of the medication you need and your location. You will be presented with coupons you can use to get your prescription at the lowest cost. For example, you can get Atorvastatin for up to 73% off at pharmacies in New York City.
2) Look for generic medications: generic medications can be significantly cheaper than their name-brand counterparts. If you are prescribed a name-brand medication, you can call your doctor or pharmacist and ask if there is a generic medication you can take as a substitute. Sometimes there are differences between name brand and generic medications, but in most cases, the generic version of the medication can be substituted for the name brand.
3) Check the price at different locations: pharmacies may offer the same medication at different prices. Therefore, you can call some of your local pharmacies or use MiraRx to see how much your medication will cost at different locations.
How to lower your cholesterol without medication?
There are several lifestyle changes that you can make to lower your cholesterol levels in addition to taking medication. Below are some of the ways you can work on lowering your cholesterol:
- Eat more foods that lower LDL cholesterol. A Harvard Health article explains that the following foods can help lower cholesterol levels:: oats, barley, and whole grains, beans, eggplant, nuts, vegetable oil, soy, fatty fish, fiber supplements, soy, apples, grapes, and strawberries.
- Increase exercise. Studies show that exercising for 2.5 hours/week can help to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol. Many types of exercise, including walking, can be beneficial.
- Don’t smoke. Research suggests that smoking increases the risk of high cholesterol. If you currently smoke, you can speak with your doctor about a plan to decrease your smoking.