How Much Antibiotics Cost Without Insurance
The average cost of generic antibiotics without insurance is about $42.67, while the average cost for brand-name antibiotics is $221.75. There are several steps you can take to reduce the amount you pay for antibiotics, such as asking for the generic version instead of the brand-name medication.
With Mira’s prescription portal, you can see the prices of the antibiotics you need at various pharmacies near you. Mira members also get access to discount codes that can be used to lower the cost of prescriptions, where you can save up to 80%! Sign up today to get started.
Cost of Antibiotics Without Insurance
Below we outline the cost of some common generic and brand name antibiotics. The type of antibiotic you are prescribed will depend on what condition you are treating, its severity, and the strength of your immune system. When possible, you should always choose the generic option, as they work just as well as brand-name antibiotics but are often significantly less expensive.
Cost of Common Antibiotics Without Insurance
|Generic||Generic Price||Brand||Brand Price||Dosage|
|No longer available||N/A||500 mg|
When individuals are needing drugs that aren’t as widely used, the prices go up even more than this table represents. It’s important to have some type of coverage to make sure you can afford all of the medications your doctor prescribes. Even with traditional insurance, you could still have to pay more than the listed price or you may have to pay everything out of pocket until you’ve met a certain deductible.
This is why Mira can be so beneficial to you getting prescriptions. With Mira, you don’t have to meet a deductible and you can get access to up to 80% savings on your monthly prescriptions without having to pay a high monthly premium. Sign up today and start seeing the savings come in.
Knowledge is power, share this article
Antibiotics Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Dr. Jessica Nouhavandi has a degree in bioethics and a Doctor in Pharmacy from Western University of Health Sciences and answered some questions about antibiotics for this article. Dr. Nouhavandi is the Co-Founder and Co-CEO at Honeybee Health, an online pharmacy that helps patients access low-cost prescription medications.
What are antibiotics?
Dr. Nouhavandi: “Antibiotics are used to either kill or stop the growth and replication of bacteria. There are different kinds of infections that can affect humans and animals, including bacterial infections, fungal infections, and viral infections. Antibiotics specifically work against bacterial infections only.”
Do I need a prescription for antibiotics?
Dr. Nouhavandi: “Yes, you will need to be prescribed an antibiotic after seeing a doctor. Once filling your prescription at a pharmacy, your pharmacist will give you more detailed information on how to take your medicine.”
How do antibiotics work?
Dr. Nouhavandi: “Antibiotics are antimicrobial substances that work to kill or stop the growth of bacteria inside or on the body. There are antibiotics that work on a broad range of different bacteria, called broad-spectrum antibiotics, and some that only work against a few strains of bacteria. When deciding which antibiotic to treat a person with, doctors can narrow down which bacteria are the cause depending on the type of infection. Only certain types of bacteria can cause certain infections.”
What conditions are treated with antibiotics?
Dr. Nouhavandi: “It’s important to note again that antibiotics will only treat bacterial infections, not fungal or viral. The most common bacterial infections that antibiotics treat are sinus infections, strep throat, UTI’s (urinary tract infections), pneumonia, bacterial skin infections, and ear and eye infections.”
Are antibiotics safe?
You should talk to your doctor about how any drugs that you’re thinking about taking could impact you in your own life, as people react very differently to medication. According to Dr. Nouhavandi, there is some general information to keep in mind when taking antibiotics, which includes:
- Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.
- Always choose generic, as generic antibiotics work just as well but are often significantly more affordable.
- Some people will develop resistance to the effects of certain antibiotics, so it’s important to only take antibiotics when necessary.
- Antibiotics can cause side effects such as diarrhea or upset stomach, so it’s important to speak with your pharmacist on how to avoid these side effects depending on which antibiotic you’re taking.
- Because most antibiotics also kill the good bacteria in your body, in some women antibiotics can cause vaginal yeast infections. Taking probiotics is one way to avoid this.
Lowering The Cost of Antibiotics
The cost of antibiotics can be expensive when paying without insurance. Below we outline some tips to help you reduce the price you pay for antibiotics.
- Get a generic antibiotic: When your doctor prescribes you an antibiotic, you should make sure that you are getting the generic rather than brand name medication. In most cases, the generic antibiotic is just as effective as the brand name and is significantly less expensive.
- Check prices at multiple pharmacies: The price of antibiotics can vary greatly depending on what pharmacy you get the medication from. You can call pharmacies near you or use Mira’s prescription portal to see the cost of antibiotics without insurance at various pharmacies.
- Discount programs: Some pharmacies offer discounted medications for people who have a membership. For example, Costco, Kroger, Price Chopper, Wegmans, Walmart, and Publix among others may offer discounted antibiotics for those with a membership.
- MiraRX: Through MiraRX, members can access discount codes that can be used for antibiotics and other prescriptions as well. In addition, Mira members receive low-cost urgent care, lab tests, and preventative care for only $45/month.
Antibiotics are antimicrobial substances that are used to treat bacterial infections, such as strep throat, sinus infections, and UTIs. Antibiotics must be prescribed by a doctor and can be picked up from a pharmacy. The cost of antibiotics without insurance can range from about $12 to $380, but there are several steps you can take to reduce the price you have to pay.
By getting a Mira membership, you will be able to access discount codes for various prescription medications, including antibiotics. These codes help you save up to 80% on all prescriptions with no deductible to worry about. All of Mira’s prescription savings are included for free in the monthly membership fee.