How Much Amoxicillin Costs Without Insurance 2021
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Some of its brand names include Amoxil, Biomox, and Polymox, however, most brand names have been discontinued. Without insurance, amoxicillin costs about $23.99. However, there are ways to get amoxicillin at a lower cost, which we highlight in this article.
Using Mira’s prescription portal, members get access to 80% off prescriptions, including amoxicillin. Additionally, for $45/mo, Mira offers low-cost urgent care visits and affordable lab testing starting at $19. Sign up today to start coverage.
Cost of Amoxicillin Without Insurance
Below is an outline of how much a 500mg of amoxicillin costs based on quantity, and how much a 21 count, 500mg dosage of amoxicillin costs at major pharmacies. The average cost is $14.99. However, the price will vary depending on what is being treated, the severity of your condition, and your weight.
The Cost of Amoxicillin Without Insurance
The Cost of Amoxicillin Without Insurance at Major Pharmacies
Amoxicillin Retail Price
Rite Aid Pharmacy
Accessing Amoxicillin at a Lower Cost
Prescription drugs can be expensive, and the cost for amoxicillin can add up, especially if on the medication for a prolonged period of time. Here are some ways to access amoxicillin at a lower price point:
Knowledge is power, share this article
- Be sure to check the cost at different pharmacies: As shown above, the price of amoxicillin varies at different pharmacies. The cost varies between $9.70 and $25.68. You can also check the prices at pharmacies near you by using Mira’s Prescription Portal.
- Utilize discount programs: Just as you can save on groceries and other items with discount programs, you can also save money on prescriptions by becoming a member of the store. Oftentimes, this is free and you can access prescriptions at a discounted rate.
- Patient Assistance Programs: These are typically sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and they will provide free or discounted medicines to low-income or uninsured and under-insured people who meet specific guidelines. However, eligibility requirements vary for each program.
- Become a Mira Member: Mira offers up to 80% off prescriptions through a $45/mo membership. Along with this, members get access to affordable urgent care visits, and lab testing starting at just $19.
Amoxicillin Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Dr. Jessica Nouhavandi, co-founder and co-CEO of Honeybee Health, an online pharmacy that helps patients access low-cost prescription medications provided answers to some common questions about amoxicillin.
What is amoxicillin used to treat?
“Amoxicillin is an antibiotic used to treat several different kinds of bacterial infections. It is indicated to treat skin and soft tissue infections, such as:
- H pylori
- Urinary tract infections
It is also used off-label for conditions such as Lymes disease and used as a preventative measure for endocarditis in dental procedures or invasive respiratory tract procedures.”
Do I need a prescription for amoxicillin?
Yes, patients need a prescription for amoxicillin. To reduce the likelihood of creating bacteria resistant to amoxicillin, amoxicillin is not available over the counter. In order to get an amoxicillin medication prescription, consult with a licensed medical provider.
How does amoxicillin work?
“Amoxicillin is in the beta-lactamase class of antibiotics. It kills bacteria by breaking down the bacterial cell wall.”
What should you not take with amoxicillin?
Common medications that may interact with amoxicillin include:
- Allopurinol (may increase the incidence of rash)
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners), such as warfarin (may prolong bleeding time)
- Oral contraceptives (may decrease absorption leading to reduced efficacy)
- Other antibiotics, such as chloramphenicol, sulfonamides, macrolides, and tetracycline
- Probenecid (may increase blood concentrations of amoxicillin)
What are some common side effects of amoxicillin?
“Some common side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting
These are common and should go away after the course of treatment. Alert your doctor if signs of an allergy such as skin reactions like rash, itching, and redness, or wheezing and chest tightness occur. These side effects are rarer.”
Is there any other information patients should know about taking amoxicillin?
“For women, it is important to keep in mind that amoxicillin can reduce the effect of birth control so it is recommended to use an additional form of protection while on amoxicillin. Take amoxicillin with food if it causes an upset stomach.”
Amoxicillin and other antibiotics can be fairly costly, especially if the treatment is for a prolonged period of time. However, there are multiple ways to access prescriptions at a discounted rate. One of the best ways is Mira. For just $45/mo, members can access 80% off prescriptions, as well as low-cost urgent care visits, and affordable lab testing. Sign up today in under 2 minutes.