- As of December 23rd, there have been about 135 new cases each day in New Orleans
- Locations such as Rapid Urgent Care and Walgreens offer rapid tests
- The price of rapid tests generally is over $120
Louisiana COVID Situation Update
In response to rising COVID-19 infections across the state, Louisiana created new restrictions that became effective on November 25th, 2020. Below is a brief overview of the Phase Two guidelines. For more information, visit ready.nola.gov.
- Masks are required at all times and indoor gatherings must be held at 25% capacity with a maximum occupancy of 75 people
- Restaurants, libraries, salons, museums, businesses, retail stores, and tattoo services are allowed to remain open at 50% capacity
- There are a few businesses that will need to completely close in order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. These locations include concert halls, amusement parks, arcades, indoor playgrounds, parades, and dance clubs. Once the spread of COVID-19 is under control, these places will be permitted to reopen.
Should I get a PCR or Rapid Test?
If you are experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19 or had exposure to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 you should seek out a diagnostic test. Diagnostic tests (PCR and rapid tests) detect active infections with COVID-19. PCR tests tend to be more accurate than rapid tests; however, it may take 5-7 days to get results to get results from a PCR test.
Therefore, if you need results immediately, a rapid test may be the best option for you. If you can wait several days for results, you should get a PCR test.
These locations offer rapid COVID testing in New Orleans
If you need to return to work quickly, a rapid test may be a good option for you. It is important to note that while the turnaround time for results of rapid tests is short, they are not as accurate are the standard PCR test.
|Testing Site||Rapid Test Cost||Site Information|
|Rapid Urgent Care, Slidell||Clinic visit $120 + possible additional cost for test||2170 Gause Blvd W Suite 101, Slidell, LA 70460|
|Rapid Urgent Care, Metairie||Clinic visit $120 + possible additional cost for test||3908 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA 70002|
|Rapid Urgent Care, Mandeville||Clinic visit $120 + possible additional cost for test||1111 N Causeway Blvd, Mandeville, LA 70471|
|Walgreens||$129||Harvey, LA 70058|
These locations offer PCR COVID testing in New Orleans
PCR testing is available at many clinics and doctors' offices in New Orleans. Below we list some locations that offer testing. Various medical centers may have different protocols regarding eligibility and price of testing, so be sure to call in advance. Results are typically available within a few days to one week.
Knowledge is power, share this article
|Testing Site||PCR Test Cost||Site Information|
|Crescent Care||Must Inquire||1631 Elysian Fields Avenue New Orleans, LA 70117|
|Walgreens||$129||Harvey, LA 70058|
|DePaul Community Health Centers||Must Inquire||See 10 locations here|
|CVS Pharmacy Minute Clinic||$139||1600 Elysian Fields Avenue New Orleans, LA 70117|
|Ochsner Urgent Care Clinics||Must inquire||See locations here|
If you do not want to get a test in-person, you may be able to order an at-home testing kit. There are currently 9 producers and price ranges from free to around $155.
Healthcare Can Be Confusing, Here Are More Resources:
- How does it feel to have coronavirus?
- How much does urgent care cost without insurance?
- Can my dogs get coronavirus?
- How to wash your hands properly?
- Everything you need to know about the Coronavirus
- Where & How to Get Tested for COVID-19 in Los Angeles, CA?
- Where to get tested in NYC?
- Center of Diseases Control - Case report: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html#investigation
- New York Times - How to self-quarantine: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/health/self-quarantine-coronavirus.html
- World Health Organization - When and how to use masks: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration - N95 respirators advisory: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks#s1
- Louisiana Department of Health ‚Äì Coronavirus (COVID-19) - http://ldh.la.gov/Coronavirus/
- The Times-Picayune/The News Orleans Advocate - Five new coronavirus-related deaths in Orleans - https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_ad90d7f4-71d8-11ea-a945-07766efbb578.html
- State of Louisiana Executive Department ‚Äì Proclamation Number 33 JBE 2020 - https://gov.louisiana.gov/assets/Proclamations/2020/JBE-33-2020.pdf
- Louisiana Department of Health ‚Äì Testing Isolation Guidelines - http://ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/Coronavirus/resources/TestingIsolationGuidelines.pdf
- Lousiana Department of Health ‚Äì Ask For a Mask - http://ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/Coronavirus/resources/LDH_AskForAMask.pdf
- Fox 8 Live - People seeking COVID-19 tests need a doctor to access testing - https://www.fox8live.com/2020/03/16/people-seeking-covid-tests-need-doctor-access-testing/
- Lousiana Department of Health - COVID-19 Testing Sites: Updated Daily - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18vys3Y5Owxbxnd5Sw0yB2r4LcfOxH1ERWBayI2ZwlMU/edit#gid=80312056