Free Health Clinics in NYC
Urgent care clinics and community health clinics are popular forms of care, however, health clinics are oftentimes more affordable. Services covered at health clinics include sexual health, immunizations, and tuberculosis. The cost for services at community health clinics depends on your income, your location, services provided, and your insurance coverage.
Health Clinics vs. Urgent care Centers
Urgent care clinics and community health clinics are among some of the most popular types of care.
Urgent care clinics, such as CityMD, ProHealth, GoHealth, FastMed, and more, treat acute but non-critical injuries and illnesses. Just about 35% of patients visiting urgent care clinics have no PCP, therefore, some clinics make it a priority to help patients establish a relationship with a doctor. In comparison, emergency rooms treat critical conditions, and PCPs and specialists may treat both acute and chronic conditions.
Some services that are typically offered by urgent care clinics include:
- Minor fractures
- Back pain
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Minor headaches
- Blood work
- Bumps, cuts, and scrapes
Community health centers are typically not-for-profit, and usually, government-supported independent local clinics serve under-served populations and offer limited medical services to the community for free or at a low cost.
Some services that community health centers offer can be seen below.
Services Offered at NYC Health Clinics
New York City Health Department clinics offer patients sexual health, immunization, and Tuberculosis (TB) services, regardless of immigration status.
These facilities provide low and no-cost confidential services for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV. You can get more information online about Sexual Health Clinics, including clinic services, locations, and hours.
At immunization clinics, you can get required vaccinations for children (ages 4 and older) to attend school, and for adults to attend college.
Immunization Clinics also offer seasonal flu shots and other recommended vaccines such as:
- Childhood vaccinations
- Adult vaccinations
- Seasonal flu shots
Anyone at risk for TB can get a free evaluation and treatment at a TB Clinic. You must schedule an appointment first by calling the TB Clinic you plan to visit. TB clinics can perform:
- TB testing and diagnosis
- Treatment for latent TB infection and active TB disease
Health Insurance and Billing Practices
The clinics above accept all types of insurance, including:
- Medicare Part B
- Fee-for-Service Medicaid
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Affinity Health Plan
- EmblemHealth (GHI/HIP)
- HealthPlus Amerigroup
If you do not have health insurance or cannot pay the fee, you can still get services.
Health insurance and billing practices vary by the type of clinic and may also depend on the patient’s age, family size, and income.
Affordable & Reduced Cost Health Clinics in NYC
Beth Israel Medical Group
55 E 34th St., 212-252-6000
- They offer primary care, specialty care, as well as Japanese Medical Practice. Appointments can be made online by visiting the Beth Israel Medical Group site.
- Walk-ins are accepted as well as appointments. The walk-in fee for new patients is $125, and $65 for follow-up appointments, in addition to other fees incurred for medical services.
- Open 7 days a week from 8 am to 8 pm.
Callen-Lorde Community Health Center (LGBTQ-friendly clinic)
356 West 18th Street (btw 8th and 9th Aves), 212-271-7200
- Specializes in health issues for New York’s LGBTQ population, yet accepting of all patients, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- If you earn less than $21,660/year, you will qualify for a sliding-scale fee. They also have an agreement with a CVS in Chelsea, Manhattan where you can receive discounted prescriptions if you are paying out of pocket and the prescription was written by Callen-Lorde.
- Accepts same-day appointment. Does not accept United Health Care; therefore, students with NYSHIP may want to go elsewhere for health care.
Get Mira - Health Benefits You Can Afford.
Get doctor visits, lab tests, prescription, and more. Affordable copays. Available in 45+ states. Only $45/month on average.
Charles B. Wang Community Health Center
125 Walker Street (between Centre St & Baxter St), and two additional NYC locations, 212-941-2170
- Great center for low-income, uninsured, or under-insured Asian immigrants with nowhere else to turn for basic healthcare.
- Call (212) 941-2170 to schedule an appointment.
The Institute for Family Health
This center has four locations:
- Sidney Hillman Family Practice: 16 East 16 Street, 3rd Floor, 212-924-7744
- Phillips Family Practice: 16 East 16th St., 1st floor, 212-206-5200
- East 13th St. Family Practice: 113 East 13th St., 212-253-1830
- Amsterdam Health Center: 690 Amsterdam Avenue at 94th St., 212-865-4104
- Group of clinics in Manhattan and the Bronx. They have two free Saturday clinics, one in Manhattan and one in the Bronx.
- Each of their clinics has a team of social workers who can assist you get health insurance if you are uninsured.
- Also, if you are uninsured, the fee is on a sliding scale, based on your income. For students with NYSHIP, the Institute takes United Health Care, so you can go to the doctors there and be covered in-network.
Mount Sinai Hospital
Internal Medicine Associates Urgent Care
17 East 102nd St (7th Floor, Walk-in Clinic Area D) 212-659-8551
- Price is based on a sliding scale and proof of income and residence will be required.
- Open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am–7:30 pm, and Fridays 8:00–3:30 pm.
NYU NYC Free Clinic
16 East 16th Street (btw 5th Ave and Bdwy), 212-206-5200
- No cost to patients- offers a full range of health care services, including specialty referrals, counseling, patient education, social services, and screening and registration for public health insurance.”
- Appointments are available ONLY on Saturday mornings between 9:00 am and 12:45 pm.
- To make an appointment call: 212-206-5200.
The Ryan Center
This center has three locations:
- 110 West 97th Street (btw Amsterdam and Columbus Aves), 212-749-1820
- 279 East 3rd Street (btw Aves C & D), 212-477-8500
- 645 10th Ave (btw 45th and 46th Sts), 212-265-4500
- Community health centers providing medical, dental, gynecological, mental health and optometry—among many other medical specializations.
- They also provide medical services for a sliding fee, based on your income level, to patients without health insurance.
- Additionally, all prescriptions are provided for $10 from their pharmacy for patients without prescription drug coverage. They do not accept United Healthcare.
ECHO Free Clinic
1894 Walton Ave, The Bronx, NY 10453
- The clinic provides free, high-quality, comprehensive health care to the uninsured population of the Bronx of New York City.
- The ECHO Free Clinic embraces the spirit of volunteerism and service embodied in our health care professionals and student volunteers.
- The clinic is open every Saturday morning from 9 am until 12 pm (except holidays). They are only able to serve those who do not currently have health insurance.
Morrisania Sexual Health Clinic
1309 Fulton Ave 2nd floor, The Bronx, NY 10456
- Open Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Urban Horizons Family Health Center
50 E 168th St, The Bronx, NY 10452
- Accepts Medicaid, Medicare, and most insurance plans.
- If you do not have health insurance, they can help. Ask about how to apply for our sliding-fee discount program. You may be eligible based only on income and family size. No one is turned away.
Morris Heights Health Center
625 E 137th St #1776, The Bronx, NY 10454
- Morris Heights Health Center aims for quality, affordable, and accessible health care for all.
- Offers inexpensive and free health care across a broad spectrum of services, serving the community.
Virtual care for only $25 per visit
Virtual primary care, urgent care, and behavioral health visits are only $25 with a Mira membership.
Dr. Emily Women's Health Center
642 Southern Blvd, The Bronx, NY 10455
- A Bronx Women’s Medical Pavilion d.b.a. “Dr. Emily Women’s Health Center," has been providing the highest quality abortion care and the most up-to-date gynecological services to patients in the Longwood area of the Bronx, New York
- All patients are offered follow-up appointments, during which contraception options are discussed and contraception is prescribed.
Brooklyn Health Clinic
147 Greenpoint Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222
Fort Greene Sexual Health Clinic
295 Flatbush Ave Ext 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Brooklyn Plaza Medical Center
50 Fulton St, Brooklyn, NY 11217
- Offers a full range of health care and support services.
- Staff is also available to assist with applications for the child health insurance plan (CHIP), free or low-cost insurance for children fewer than 19, and family Health Plus for adults 19-64 years of age.
Community Health Center of Richmond Port Richmond Health Center
235 Port Richmond Ave, Staten Island, NY 10302
- Provides quality, primary health care, dental, and specialty services for all, regardless of ability to pay.
- Offers primary health care and dental care for all ages, along with a range of specialties, including behavioral health care, obstetrics and gynecology, podiatry, nutritional counseling, wellness, and prenatal and post-partum care.
Staten Island Mental Health Society Inc
669 Castleton Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
Beacon Christian Community Health Center
2079 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10303
- Faith-based community health center shares the love of Jesus by providing quality, affordable health and wellness care to Mariners Harbor and Staten Island residents.
- Offers a broad spectrum of medical and health care services for patients and families.
Community Health Clinic Costs
The out-of-pocket costs for community health clinics depend on several factors:
- Insurance coverage
- The services you receive
- Your location
- Your income
If you are uninsured or looking for an affordable healthcare option, Mira is just $45/mo and covers affordable urgent care visits, low-cost lab testing, and discounted prescriptions.
Alyssa is a Senior Marketing Associate & Content Writer at Mira. She is passionate about educating others on how to affordably access healthcare.