On behalf of the whole Mira team who had worked so hard to bring this vision to life, I am extremely happy and excited to announce that we are releasing our newest addition to the Mira benefits portfolio - Mira Diagnostics which comprises two lab panels - the Mira Health Panel and Mira STD (STI) Panel.
In this article, I will walk you through:
- The problems we identified via our internal research.
- Our process of designing the product and how it will benefit millions of Americans.
- What's next.
With Mira, lab testing has never been easier or more affordable. Order your lab test in 30 seconds or less.
Mira is solving two thorny problems when it comes to getting a simple lab test in America.
Currently, it takes anywhere from three days to several weeks to get a lab test and results for simple things like a health panel or an STD test.
The current process for many consumers getting lab work requires three touchpoints. The first is scheduling a visit with your physician who will order the lab test. Next, requires going to the lab for testing. The third is waiting to hear back from a busy physician with results. (This can take days or even weeks. Often when the results are normal, the provider will send a note stating “your recent lab testing was normal”, with no additional details provided). Mira turns the first step into a convenient online experience and the third step into a simple log-in to an online portal for a comprehensive list of all results.
Lab testing is one of the most popular sources for surprise medical bills - which can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for simple blood work.
Without insurance or having to pay out-of-pocket, the cost of getting a lab test can vary from $100 - $1000+, geographic location, and site of care.
We conducted comprehensive research on the pricing for a simple health panel and found shocking variations across different sites of care - ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
Knowledge is power, share this article
- Complete Blood Count (CBC): $140 - $622
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH): $150 - $1,139
- Lipid Panel: $303 - $843
- Basic Metabolic Panel: $330 - $1309
- Urinalysis: $129 - $643
Unnecessary complexity and pricing uncertainty cause millions of Americans to delay seeking care, delay getting care, and delay treatments. And this problem is especially worse for those without insurance or with a high deductible health plan.
While there has been a proliferation of online testing services, many of which have longer lead time and aren’t available in NJ, NY, and RI due to State regulations.
30 seconds, 5 clicks, and $49 - that’s how quick, convenient, and affordable it is to know what’s going on with your health.
Bringing the “Buy Now” button to healthcare.
The Mira experience is completely digital - from getting educated about a lab test, selecting a panel, paying for it, and getting results - everything is being done via the Mira app.
From the get-go, we know how important it is to re-think what consumerism means in healthcare and how to balance self-service with clinical oversight. From then, we partnered with a designer with past experience working on the Display + app to visualize the member journey and the interactions that we must get right.
Our team of engineers and product managers worked relentlessly for almost two months to iterate on the product to produce the simplest yet informative process to help the user getting what they need and want.
What you see is what you will pay. $99 or less, always.
- The health panel. For only $49, Mira members will get access to four essential health panels with over 57 data points about their health - ranging from urine analysis, thyroid function, to blood counts, and metabolic functions - all of which can be used to make changes in diet, activity level, and further early identify chronic diseases like diabetes and various cardiovascular conditions.
- The STD panel. For $99, the Mira STD panel includes screenings for the four most popular sexually transmitted infections - Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, HIV I & II, and Syphilis. Even better, if one or more of the results come back positive, the member will be provided with a consultation for treatments or necessary next steps. While Mira does not cover HIV treatments at the moment, Mira can connect members with external programs for help. And most importantly, the ability to identify these infections early could improve care outcomes by a drastic measure.
24-48 hours end-to-end. Faster than getting your Amazon packages. Available in all 50 states.
All Mira lab test orders will be reviewed by a licensed healthcare provider available in all 50 states. This process often happens in less than a few hours.
From there, the member is scheduled to visit one of 1600 LabCorp locations nationally to get samples collected. The sample is processed onsite or sent to a certified lab in batch.
Mira members are kept informed at all times via text messages and get accessed to their results as soon as it is available, usually within the next day.
At Mira, we believe that the future of health isn't new shiny technologies. We believe the future of healthcare is the people - those who are at-risk or borderline-at-risk today who could become chronic in the next 10 or 20 years. We believe that the only way to move the needles in care outcomes and costs is to get these individuals care, education, and treatment as early as possible.
The Mira Diagnostic module is our first step to further implement this vision. Click here to try for yourself.
We are working with our partners to investigate other services such as the COVID-19 vaccine, genetics testing, and cancer screening - these services will be life-changing for millions of people who are delaying care because of cost or complexity.